Thursday, March 5, 2009

Watcha Blogsite?



This got me thinking...

Someone from my old publication sent me a text message weeks back. He said he was the current Editor-In-Chief. He also said he got my number from the Palanca Awards Website. Some people in my old school got wind of my win and surprised me with a large tarpaulin congratulating me. A tarpaulin that big will never fail to catch attention, and the publication, supposedly the watch dog of the campus caught on to it. They decided to do a feature of me for the next issue. Interestingly, this will be the entry issue for the College Press Awards. I was deeply honored, and the publication, being my baby and my pride and joy, and the one thing that I spilled my blood sweat tears and semen(another story for another day) for , I gladly consented for them to publish my works, provided they contact the Palanca Foundation, who now has residual rights over my winning entry. I even set up an online interview for them.


The interview went well. I am happy that the old folks back at school refer to me as the one who "revolutionized" the school paper, and by far, is the yardstick for journalistic excellence in that school. Again, I am deeply honored and I am touched to the core. There were talks of inviting me to speak for the commencement exercises, which I feel, is yet too soon. They'd have to wait until I win my Nobel, or my MAN ASIA at least. Hehehehehe. Etchusa! I felt nostalgic and chorvalistic during the interview. SO. This is how it feels to be subjected to the other end of the set up that I knew so well! I am both excited for the feature story, and at the same time apprehensive that he wouldn't get it right. Nevertheless, I let it go. I trust that he knows what he is doing.



Yesterday, he sent me another text. He said he was wrapping up the story. I was tempted to ask for a draft copy, then again, nothing beats seeing the final printed page. He was asking some final information he needed. My age, my birth date, my complete address (where he would send copies of the magazines too, hopefully), my educational attainment, etc. I was half expecting him to ask me my civil status actually, and I would say "It's complicated, out in the market, and under negotiation. It may not necessarily be blue chip stocks, but its high yield, good windfall, stable and negotiable." Hehehehehe! His last question is what startled me a bit.

What is your blog site sir?

Ahmmmm...

Up until now, I have been open with my blog. I post very personal matters, and even my face pictures. The only element of anonymity is my real name. But you see, if you carefully pay attention to the details, you can just but Google a few information I gave out in my older blog posts, and it would not be too hard to get my real name. I do not necessarily go around telling people about my blog, but I do not hide nor deny it either, when broached. Now what? Do I give him the URL?

Several sticks of cigarettes later, I replied.

"Is it essential for the piece? Does it make any difference if we put my blog site URL in that feature story? I do have poetry pieces posted in my blog, but you see, it's not an all out literary blog that I maintain. There are a few personal stuff in there that may not be fit for public consumption."

I do not fancy people rushing in here and doing things that may be beyond my control. I do not want to be bullied in to writing for and with regards to a sudden swing of 'readers.' It's not about annonymity or anything to that effect. I just felt that the article he was writing had nothing to do with this vice I have. After all, my blog entries are of the confessional type. Granting that my literary style somehow shows, as is a natural for any writer, be they writing Creative Pieces, such as Poetry, or something as personal as a journal. There is this type of creative writing of personal essays labeled as "Creative Non-Fiction" after all. Then again...


My old school is an Archdiocesan school. Catholic. I remember a thought provoking piece I wrote here months back. I could faintly recall a slight revelation about having once, an affair/relationship with an ordained Catholic priest. That was with Mugen, if I am not mistaken, and a million other trivialities that would be offensive to their senses.


Do not get me wrong. I did not refuse to reveal my blog spot for me to be protected from harassment. Its the other way around. I am protecting them bigoted people from hurting themselves. The biggest point there is this; the article being written has nothing to do with my being a blogger or with whatever is written in my blog for that matter. So for now, the Batchoyan remains one delectable secret in the world wide web and the blogosphere, that only you, dear Batchoyan Denizens, have the singular delight (or disgust) of partaking. Now go grab a bowl and dip right in! Pressing that comment button, or that subscribe icon won't make your computer crash. KAMON! You wanna do it! You know you want to!


Photo Credits:

http://ourlatinamerica.blogspot.com/
http://movieversusbook.com/id13.html
http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2006/03/whats_your_eq_e.html
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coat_of_arms_of_the_Holy_See.svg
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23740

4 comments:

Yj said...

ay naku... parang yung isang homophobic na napatumbling sa blog ko at nag iwan ng hate message sa chat box...

kalurki....

. said...

Pareho tayo, ayaw na ayaw ko rin nacocompromise ang identity ko sa blogspot lalo na't napaka-open ko sa nangyayari sa akin.

Jersey said...

Its weird, dont you think??

Blogs are public in effect, since anyone can stumble upon it at any given time.. But to share it seems awkward hahahahaha

major irony hehehehehehe

Luis Batchoy said...

yj: hayaan mo sya... homophobics hate themselves... get the point? he hates himself because he himself is... ya know

mugen: kaya ba ayaw mo mag text nung nasa manila ako? hehehehe

dawn: lola alanis says it indeed